[AusNOG] CryptoLocker Virus

Pinkerton, Eric (AU Sydney) Eric.Pinkerton at baesystemsdetica.com
Thu Oct 24 11:27:24 EST 2013

I can't believe anyone is still sending/or allowing for that matter, exe's in email in 2013! - That's like sooo 1998.

I would have said malware is more likely to arrive by PDF these days for exactly that reason, but more to the point, clicking on a link is all it really takes to compromise a machine.

If I want to infect you with an exe, and you block it, Then I will just put the file in a drop box(or whatever), and send you an invite - your users are well attuned to clicking on such links.

IMHO, The 'best' policy is a combination of many things starting with training your end users to spot dodgy looking links, filtering egress traffic, patching patching and more patching, not using XP with IE6, monitoring your logs, changing your default password from 'password' and giving people permissions in line with their requirements (ie not making everyone a domain admin) etc etc.

My 2c