[AusNOG] IPv6 and Xbox1 from NANOG59

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 13 08:45:25 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----

While IPv6 is better anyway for applications that have a natural peer-to-peer architecture, one of the reasons Microsoft probably did it was because Xbox 360 doesn't work between customers who are behind the same CGN:

"Assessing the Impact of Carrier-Grade NAT on Network Applications"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7021

Use of IPsec in transport mode is quite interesting and significant though. IPsec isn't necessary to get around any of the IPv4 CGN issues. IPsec in transport mode will detect middle boxes such as NATs/CGNs because they look like Man-In-The-Middle attacks (because they violate the packets' end-to-end integrity), so they may have decided to use it as a another method of detecting NATs/CGNs. Or it could be just that knowing that the packets received were actually the ones sent is valuable - perhaps there are game hacks which are implemented in some middle boxes that Microsoft would like to prevent.