[AusNOG] Copper versus fibre in the DC

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Sat Oct 12 12:04:14 EST 2013

It's fibre.  Regardless off all the other merits (and there are plenty) the reality is that modern large DC's simply cannot natively support copper across the entire facility.  In NEXTDC the longest possible copper path from one customer to the frame and back to another customer can be 105m and that's within the same hall!!  That pushes the limit of copper already.

Across the entire facility the farthest is something like 200m (hall 1 to hall 6).  Not copper supportable.  The same problem occurs at Equinix and Global Switch.

SMFibre is the only consistent interface choice that's works everywhere from the DC to the carriers providing services including metro DF.

So if you've got the opportunity to "reset" your infrastructure/core because your are moving into a DC, then there really is only one choice.

And megaport supports 10G fibre in case you wanted to test things out ;)

Sent from my iPhone