[AusNOG] Looking for employees? Melbourne based

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Fri Oct 11 15:09:20 EST 2013

Very interesting thread

1)      I had a friend of mine who went to the UK, stayed for 2 years, excellent engineer, not just networks, servers, OS ... etc.  Couldn't find a job, couldn't get past the recruiter he wasn't a good interviewer (and they are slightly different in the UK).  This guy gets stopped from entering pubs, because he is too drunk or unruly  (he usually hasn't had a drink), and he (to me) looks like a normal person :)  but there is something about him that some people don't like.  No problems getting work in Sydney he knows people, people know his skills...   SO sometimes it's more than just knowledge

2)      0.2+0.1 = 0.30000000000000004 so I cheated and googled and found rounding errors for floating numbers ... That sounds to me more about who you know (ie whats the flavour of the month .. I guess if I had turned up to the meeting I would known :) ) than what you know ... :)

3)      I went for an IV at large government dep IT department, one of the opening questions was please describe RNMP what it does and what its used for .... After looking rather bewildered for 1-2 min, I shrugged having never heard of it... works out the IV had tricky accent and was actually asking about SNMP, which I did know about, silly me for not asking more about it during the IV, I did get them to repeat it a few times.

4)      I spent 6 months putting together a Helpdesk team, it was amazing how many people had certs but had no idea, unfortunately we did a lot of culling based on certification or degree, we eventually found our 4 people, but I wonder how many we passed over who would have been okay...

Alex