[AusNOG] AirFibre

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 28 14:20:26 EST 2013

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, Joe Saxton wrote:

> As I was doing some research on opportunities on ways our company can improve our bandwidth across our sites I can along this
> product called AirFibre.
>
> http://www.ubnt.com/airfiber
>
> Its described that over the licence free 24Ghz band it can carry 1.4Gbps+ data throughput upto 13km range with the airFibre24.
> The airFibre5 operates on the lower 5Ghz band (which may or may not require licencing) which can carry upto 1Gbs data throughput
> within a 100Km range.
>
> For a point to point link at ~$4k it seems like a cost effective way to deploy an alternate FTTP link.

Be aware that the licensing of this band in Australia means the distances
it can achieve are much shorter - see
http://store.freenet-antennas.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=534 for
theoretical and real-world examples.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |