[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:22:23 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith
<markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au>wrote:

> Telstra was the original and only broadband supplier, and they supplied 3
> ADSL1 tiers - 256/64, 512/128, and 1500/512. That was it. Why did they
> provide no more than those speeds, even though ADSL1 could support up to
> 8Mbps? Oops - there it is - the "up to" thing.
>
> I'm guessing Telstra only provided those speeds because they could assure
> them universally across all local loops in Australia, regardless of where
> they were located.

The one comment I will make here is that I have personally chased a fault
through that ended up as "we can't/won't fix this". It was in the case of a
service that could not achieve 1,500kbps reliably. Oh, also - the line
worked fine for a year before it went faulty.

I don't fault TW on this - their fault team worked on it for me for well
over a month, many issues were found and fixed. It wasn't a case of poor
workmanship or rushed techs. This had plenty of focus from good people with
the right skills. The problem was the copper in the area was just too bad,
and (my guess) is that there is little commercial imperative to fix it.

I'd certainly like to have an assurance of a "minimum" for cases like this,
but I'd also like to include dropouts and the like in this minimum spec.
What is the good of a 12Mbps service that drops out a couple of times an
hour?

Sam