[AusNOG] Updated list charter

Geordie Guy elomis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 10:39:43 EST 2013

tl;dr - Is there a strategy for when the management of AusNOG feel the
membership charter has been raised and re-raised so it accurately reflects
the organisation's final standards but people from time to time scream
about suing/getting their dad to bash us anyway because some people are
just like that?

Full version -
I'm curious to know from the board if there were any actions taken on the
*other* side of what happens when an organisation encounters legal
threats.   Updating the member charter is I guess an important step if
you're threatened over the action of your members, because if things DO go
wrong down the track and you wind up in front of a bloke in a wig with a
frock you can point to the additional actions you took to try and appease
the person starting legal fights.  In addition to the defense against
upsetting people though, the other half of really great organisational
management is ensuring that if your reasonable steps to adhere a membership
body to a code of conduct aren't enough to someone who chooses to be
unreasonable, that you have plan B - usually a relationship with a legal
professional, probably who'll assist on a reduced fee or no fee basis.

People will from time to time have their feelings hurt and will wave
lawyers in the direction of other people, and half of good organisation
management is ensuring that feelings aren't hurt. But the other half, and
what makes great management, is drawing a line under behavioural
expectations and be willing to defend organisational culture. If this part
of it isn't here, or some strategy to similar effect isn't here, you wind
up with a fairly lifeless organisation that hides under the stairs every
time there's stomping feet in the hallway.  That'd be sad.