[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Fri Nov 22 12:54:32 EST 2013

It's less about infallibility and more about accountability.

If you can definitively look at your connection and say "look its down" or "look, its giving me 10mbit instead of 100mbit then that's a massive step up from where we are today.

As was said, it's all the "Up to" and "maximum" that is the issue.

Unfortunately, the FTTN technology is still littered with those references due to the way the technology scales across distance.

I've often explained it to people who don't understand the difference as similar to Digital vs. Analogue TV. If you have fibre and it works, it'll just work, whereas ADSL is like analogue TV, you can get a picture, but sometimes it is so bad you may as well not have it at all.

Barring all the little quirks and problems it can have obviously but those are negligible compared to xDSL.

Honestly, I'd be happy to get a 10-20mbit fibre service, while I would love the extra speed that a proper 100mbit connection will bring (plus the upload!) as long as I could say for certain that it'll just work and when it doesn't, I can ring an ISP and not play the blame game between the line, ISP and my gear.

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson