[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Fri Nov 22 12:51:33 EST 2013

> And I mean a real, measurable QOS. How hard can it be to have the
> customer-side NTU have a builtin QOS monitor? If the QOS light is red
> the provider has a fault to fix. Simple.

+1

What a good idea. They would never go for it. Maybe they will say "if the
red light stays on continously for longer than 'x' hours"

Modems do have stats already. I wrote a program to collect stats every 20
seconds from my trusty speedstream 4200 (don't laugh... they have an
EXCELLENT and comprehensive CLI) and put it in an SQL database, then
display it on a web site for all to see. The stats showed widely varying
attenuation (indication of a serious line problem). Nobody was interested
or even understood what that meant. Finally, after 3 months the *broken
wires* in the pit were actually fixed. It took many, many phone calls
(that kept dropping out!), but all the work I did on the stats was wasted.
I guess my "grandfather's axe" was a bit more complicated to fix :-)

H.