[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 22 07:07:09 EST 2013

>________________________________

SNRs, Errored Seconds etc., measured by ADSL (and I'm sure VDSL) would easily prove there is a problem. So the actual problem is that Telstra can't or won't accept ADSL line stats as fault/performance indicators.

>On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Tony <td_miles at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>So here is the response I got from carrier from the ticket I logged last night:
>>

>>Service is currently showing up for over 2 days
>>Please advise if packet loss is still occurring as service seems to be stable
>>We can leave case on hold for 24 hours for monitoring
>>Fault will need to be logged to Telstra when issue is occurring.
>>If service is working fine currently, it may be hard for tech to know where the issue is
>>
>>Case is on hold for 24 hours for monitoring
>>There is no packet loss right now (apart from the continual 0.4%) and so I have no recourse based on the above ?
>>
>>I did send them the graph of packet loss, but they either didn't get it, or ignored it.

Now here's the interesting question..  Did the service actually 'right itself', OR did the line testing resolve the problem?  A house we lived in a few years ago, our ADSL sync would drop from 9mbps to 4-5mbps like clockwork, if we had more than three hours of continuous rain.  A call to telstra saying there was crackling on the line, and 5 minutes on hold while they ran a line test, and voila, the crackle was gone and a retrain on the modem and it'd be back up to 9mbps.

>>--
Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG/VK2DGJ. Dip EE. GradIEAust rendrag at rendrag.net - http://www.rendrag.net/ --
We rode on the winds of the rising storm, We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts, and tore the world asunder