[AusNOG] "It's like grandfather's axe"

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Wed Nov 20 21:28:41 EST 2013

On 20/11/13 19:28 , Paul Brooks wrote:
> On 20/11/2013 7:11 PM, Tony wrote:
>>

>> My DSL suffers "rain fade" as well. If I could find a source of 10
>> minute interval rainfall data I would plot that against packet loss to
>> show the correlation.
>
> And does this "rain fade" on ADSL get reported to Telstra, or any other
> ISP, as a fault? If so, what is the fault code?
> (I don't see  rain fade, I'm on HFC, but enquiring minds would like to know)

In our old house it happened three-four days after heavy rainfall, with
crackling on the line. So Telstra send somebody over four days later
when everything was fine again for two days. That happened twice.

The third time the crackling was so bad that the person asked me if I
could log the fault via a mobile phone and the next day they emptied the
pit in front of the house of rubbish, got a new lid for it and redid all
the joints in it. After that it was never noisy again.

Still didn't get more than 2 Mbps on ADSL2 because of the distance to
the Exchange. And still don't get it.

Edwin