[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Nov 8 18:28:31 EST 2013

[This came in prior to my previous reply, so that's why I'm responding to it, and to clarify my positions.]

On Nov 8, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> You're a security product vendor who's now arguing against that "defense in depth."

Not at all.  I'm arguing against a push for perceived solutions to the problem of pervasive surveillance which I consider to be both ineffective and iatrogenic in nature.

> Note also that we typically consider "security" to be something that inhabits a space defined by availability, integrity and confidentiality.  You're a security product vendor who's arguing against the existence of at least one third of that picture.

It would be hard for me to argue against its existence or its importance, since I pretty much utilize encryption technology every waking minute of every day.

;>

I will point out that without availability, confidentiality and integrity don't matter very much, though.

;>

> Some of us value confidentiality much more highly than you do, and whether you agree with us or not, it remains an entirely legitimate point of view.

I value it quite highly; I value availability even more, in most (not all) contexts.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton