[AusNOG] Consensus from the IETF 88 Technical Plenary - Internet hardening

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Nov 8 16:30:45 EST 2013

On 08/11/2013 16:01, Dobbins, Roland wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>
>>   The status quo is clearly deficient on both counts.
> I don't think it's deficient on technology front, in this context.
>
> Governments can and will trump technology with laws, regulations, actions contrary to those very same laws and regulations, and with their near-infinite resources.
>
> The only defenses against governmental abuse of power are political ones.
If my data is encrypted end-to-end between my device and my other device, at least I
can be confident they aren't seeing my data in the middle without my knowledge. Sure
they come to me and use legal persuasion or beat me up for the encryption keys or the
plain-text data - but then at least I'll know that its happening. Or they can attempt
to trojan or subvert my devices, but they run the risk of that being detected, or made
useless by using a new device.
Any way you look at it, it makes their effort level unscalable (O(N)) compared to
tapping an intermediate cable and slurping up the passing packets.

--
Paul