[AusNOG] Compression Appliances

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 11:04:09 EST 2013

We've had good success with Silver Peak on a range of geostationary satellite links varying between 1Mbps to 100Mbps. 50+ appliances.

As an ISP, we see a wide variety of Internet traffic with little of the repetition you might get with e.g. corporate MAPI, so savings vary - but 30% is still possible.  Reducing satellite bandwidth costs by 30% is significant, as is the far better feel of the satellite link customers get from having acceleration there. The sheer number of flows we face at our high end, rather than the bw, is our challenge for acceleration - all that flow state to track, and # of flows can hit box limits long before bandwidth does. Have started using their virtual devices on Xen at the low end - free trial.

(Riverbed's licensing model wouldn't work for us. I've not really seen a Cisco solution suitable for geo satellite - and that includes their very-low-end RBSCP.)

Lloyd Wood
lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk
http://about.me/lloydwood