[AusNOG] You down with 313? Yeah you know me! Who's down with 313? The D-B-C-D-E!

Peter Adkins peter.adkins at kernelpicnic.net
Fri May 31 23:01:59 EST 2013

I'm not attempting to defend the companies issuing these requests, nor the
process itself, however... (a worrying phrase).

Quite a few moons ago at $ISP we found that the various copyright holders
started signing these infringement emails. I can only fathom this was done
to try and prevent the argument of "we cannot verify the authenticity of
the sender, so... TRASH!" Along with this change, a few resources were
provided; such as an example perl script provided by one studio in
particular... Which had in the todo list 'Add OpenPGP support to verify
email message authenticity'... Which doesn't appear to have changed since
2003 (http://mpto.unistudios.com/xml/)

There was also an XML schema that had been 'implemented' for automatic
processing of infringement requests. As if an ISP would pipe emails
straight into a Perl script, hook into their account system and fire off
"Naughty! Naughty!" emails en masse. I say 'implemented' as there was no
real standard schema between the various copyright holders, nor template
short of it *actually* being an email of some form. It also looks like they
haven't really bothered putting any additional thought into the system
since (if the old link above is anything to go by), whether scraped or not
I'm unsure.

All this having been said, I haven't seen an infringement email in a long
time, so there's always a chance that more effort  has been put into them
since then. However, at the time at least, the whole 'system' seemed to
have been implemented rather lazily on the copyright holder's part so I'm
not really sure they expected the system to work at all in the first
place...

Regards,
Peter Adkins