[AusNOG] mx80 flow-spec

Tom Paseka tom at cloudflare.com
Thu May 30 14:15:57 EST 2013

Hi Luke,

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Luke Iggleden
<luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au>wrote:

> Hi Noggers,
>
> We're looking to implement flow-spec filters on our mx80 borders, however
> we've come across a post from 2011 suggesting that with as few as 15
> flow-spec filters live, the PFE on the mx80 drops to 3-5Mpps. This is of
> course not something we could afford.

Haven't found this to be the case. We've got hundreds of flowspec rules
with some MX-80's still doing 20MPPS.

> I'd really appreciate any pointers to sites with people discussing
> flow-spec, mx series, exabgp, nfsen and anything else that we should be
> looking at. If it comes down to it, I guess we'll just end up with a S/RTBH
> setup.

We're using a MX-5 as the flowspec route server, rather than exabgp - don't
push the rules more than around 500 if you can avoid it, things start to
get unpredictable.

Cheers,
Tom