[AusNOG] L3 vlan tunneling

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Mon May 27 18:41:22 EST 2013

Cheers everybody for your responses,

Andrew I will definitely look at VXLAN, I had not heard of it (not generally a VMware guy specifically) and my mind is a little blown with what I'm reading :)

James, the thought of using a few ASRs to do OTV had occurred to me, the only issue is I would effectively require 4 for redundancy (2 at each end, peering with the other 2 at the other) that would (at least initially) be doing very little else so that may end out being expensive, I'll check it out but it may need to be a slightly bigger model, this is all 10gig connected and from what I have seen the ASR1001 has a max of 5gbps.

Tom, the links are vlans / SVI's with routing running on them, they are all our equipment so turning on LDP is not a drama assuming its all supported on the 6500's / interconnecting gear. There is a few devices between them on a few of the redundant links, the two DC core routers are Direct connect on the primary path but the redundant links cross multiple hops to get there.

I believe (and I would need to check) that the most major of those redundant links would be fine with LDP (4500-X) but I'll confirm.

Either way, I have three decent plans to go with :)

Thanks again, its much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ayden