[AusNOG] SuperMicro IPMI System Health Readings, Displayed on site

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Sat May 25 10:49:08 EST 2013

> Gday, [Removed]

G'day to you too.

> I know this mailing list is not designed for general questions really, But i thought it cant hurt to ask the general community in case somebody might know, or has come across this sort of thing before,

Yes, a mailing list not designed for questions, or feedback, or answers, but merely to argue about what is on-topic and what is not, and the length of signatures, and top posting or bottom posting, plain-text or html, just like every other mailing list in existence.

> But i would like to know how i can get some system health readings from IPMI devices, and display them on a website,

Cheat. Spin up a VM, install Observium, http://observium.org  point it via SNMP to your devices, and enable IPMI for said device.

 Let it do all the hard work of figuring out which oids to graph, and what they mean.

Then, pick the info that you want from what it finds, and just link to it.

>We operate over 50 IPMI devices on our network at present, and its hard to monitor the CPU temp and such,  Just would like a simple page listing each server and its temp and fan speeds ect,

Enough said, Observium is very light on configuration, just point and go, and let it keep itself up to date. Probably put it behind some kind of firewall as well.

I love it so much I've spun up a low-wattage box with observium for home to graph my Solar Inverters SNMP stats, home UPS stats, all that kind of thing. It kind of just works, as well as in networks with a couple of hundred devices, SANS, you name it.

Might not be what you want, but after you've installed it, you won't want to fly without it.

-Sean.