[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Karl Auer kauer at into6.com.au
Thu May 23 16:13:26 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 15:14 +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 08:52 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > Sure. I was talking about the IPv6 world, where reverse lookups will
> > initially be way less common, and later, ubiquitously synthesised. In
> and when they keep getting blocked they will learn, quicker and sooner
> than those on IPv4 did.

Um, I think you may have missed the point there. When all IPv6 forwards
have a valid reverse, the lack of such will be no indication of
spamminess at all.

> > idea, or the kid with fifty virtuals in his garage who will, when he
> > gets them out into a data center or two, be the next Zuckerberg, Page or
> > Gates.
> now your mixing up home users with business users, bit of a difference
> there.

Yes, I am "mixing them up". That's exactly my point. The division
between big and small, business and non-business is likely (I'm no
soothsayer to know for sure) to go the way of the dodo as far as
connectedness goes. The distinction between consumer and producer will
blur. Stances like yours, which presume such distinctions and seek to
disadvantage (even if for the very best of reasons) those belonging to
the "lesser" class, will become untenable.

> simple fact of the mater is I do not care about those who are incapable
> of getting their act together, I use the methods I use because I know
> they work and have worked for well, well, over a decade

The presumption there is that it is they who need to get their act
together. That assumption, with it's inherent co-assumption that they
need you more than you need them, is one that the coming decade may
challenge...

Regards, K.

Karl Auer                                          tel  +61-2-64957435
kauer at into6.com.au                                 mob  +61-428-957160

Into6 - IPv6 design, support, training                www.into6.com.au

GPG/PGP fingerprint: D8A4 A65A EE32 286F 1E36 55A4 0901 EEAF A785 1684