[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 22 19:26:39 EST 2013

>________________________________

      no-ones too interested, likely playing the wait and see game.

Thats 1% of end-user connections. You would expect a far greater utilisation rate amongst ISPs network operations, offices and servers, given their corporate and server traffic isn't blocked by the lack of IPv6 support on residential access networks or consumer-grade CPE.

>Remember this thread started from an observation that many
    organisations were shifting over to IPv6 for mail transport, almost
    despite themselves.
>In Australia, 20% of ASNs announce IPv6 connectivity - http://v6asns.ripe.net/v/6?s=_ALL;s=AU
>
>You would expect the greatest shift to IPv6 transport would be with
    email, with the majority of traffic being from one ISP's server to
    another ISP server, and ISPs are supposed to be driving this bus.
>Out of curiosity, for those with IPv6-enabled MX hosts - what
    proportion of email volume are ISPs seeing sent out or arriving via
    IPv6 from outside Internet sources? (that is, not directly to/from
    customers)

MTAs can be a good choice as one of the first servers to IPv6 enable when dipping your toe in the IPv6 water, as acceptable latency for email delivery can be measured in the order of minutes rather than milliseconds. If your IPv6 is broken despite your efforts, the MTA will fall back to IPv4 within 30 seconds, and then delivery will still occur. If you have end-users who don't find that acceptable, tell them they should be using Instant Messaging, rather than Percolated Messaging.