[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed May 22 10:07:03 EST 2013

On 22/05/2013 8:06 AM, Noel Butler wrote:

> At less than 1% global IPv6 utilisation I can understand why no-ones too interested,
> likely playing the wait and see game.
Thats 1% of end-user connections. You would expect a far greater utilisation rate
amongst ISPs network operations, offices and servers, given their corporate and server
traffic isn't blocked by the lack of IPv6 support on residential access networks or
consumer-grade CPE.

Remember this thread started from an observation that many organisations were shifting
over to IPv6 for mail transport, almost despite themselves.
In Australia, 20% of ASNs announce IPv6 connectivity -
http://v6asns.ripe.net/v/6?s=_ALL;s=AU

You would expect the greatest shift to IPv6 transport would be with email, with the
majority of traffic being from one ISP's server to another ISP server, and ISPs are
supposed to be driving this bus.
Out of curiosity, for those with IPv6-enabled MX hosts - what proportion of email
volume are ISPs seeing sent out or arriving via IPv6 from outside Internet sources?
(that is, not directly to/from customers)

P.