[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon May 20 18:16:13 EST 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 16:21 +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	Or you could just follow the RFC and accept email regardless
> 	of whether there is a PTR record or not.  Every site that
> 	drops email based on the lack of a PTR records is violating
> 	a MUST NOT.
>
> 	Mark

RFC 5321

7.9.  Scope of Operation of SMTP Servers

   It is a well-established principle that an SMTP server may refuse to
   accept mail for any operational or technical reason that makes sense
   to the site providing the server

/snip

Sorry Mark, but anti-spam measures are operational issues.  People have
been doing 7.9 for a great many years before JK amended this back in 08,
I recall discussing with him the specific inclusion of anti spam terms,
but he believed that the term operational was more suited and covered
it, therefore the many institutions blocking based on non this are in
fact, compliant.