[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon May 20 15:44:13 EST 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>wrote:

> Which is how IPv6 is supposed to work, no?
>

>From the IPv6, sure.  But it's not necessarily what people expect to occur.
 The vast majority of people don't realize that IPv6 is "on" by default on
their OS, and that turning it on "on the router" will suddenly cause the
email software to start using it.  If you understand the components then
the behavior makes sense - but people simply don't think of it.

In the case of the appliance I was referring to, there was no way to
control or disable IPv6 (ie, you couldn't set a static address, even if you
wanted to), so it was clearly a case of the appliance being broken.  It
basically fell into the same category as the above - the developers had
just never considered that IPv6 was on by default, and it had never been a
problem as IPv6 had never been enabled in their lab/test environments/etc.

  Scott