[AusNOG] IPv6 reverse DNS and Mail ...

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon May 20 14:45:13 EST 2013

On 20/05/2013, at 13:25, Terry Sweetser (SkyMesh CTO) <terry+AusNOG at skymesh.net.au> wrote:
> At SkyMesh, we routinely get "submissions" from remote mail admins to stop blocking their email.
>
> It turns out on many occasion that the remote site has ipv6, no reverse dns, and is connecting to our MX farm on ipv6.
>
> So, if you're running an outbound mail server or farm of servers and start using ipv6, do the rest of us a big favour:
>
> Get your rev.dns set up on those servers.

I wonder how much spam you block by rejecting submissions from hosts with incorrect/unconfigured reverse DNS entries.

I also wonder how much ham you block incorrectly..

I thought we were past the time when it was a useful way to flag spam, certainly as a binary good/bad thing. Perhaps to increase the weighting though..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum