[AusNOG] IPv6: Where's my tunnel?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Sun May 19 21:15:24 EST 2013

<hat name="SixXS" color="orange">

Mattia Rossi wrote:
> Am 06.03.2013 23:12, schrieb Paul Brooks:
>> On 7/03/2013 4:02 AM, Mattia Rossi wrote:
[..]
>> In New Zealand,
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers points out
>> that SixXS has a PoP in New Zealand.
>>
>> Pops listed at https://www.sixxs.net/pops/ - NZ PoP  is run by ACSData
>> in Wellington.

Due to the 'nice' (ahem) transit prices downunder, unfortunately, the
nzwlg01 PoP solely accepts request for endpoints in New Zealand.

Same goes for the New Caledonian PoP (ncnou01).

Goscomb, who provide gblon02, where nice enough to allow Australian
endpoints on their PoP, otherwise we would not be able to offer tunnels
in Australia. Yes, we are fully aware that makes latency very sucky, but
it is the only option at the moment.

>> Signup and lots of good IPv6 info at the SixXS site -
>> https://www.sixxs.net/main/
>>
> Just FYI:
> I registered with SixXS, had to send a lot of information plus a
> justification as to why I needed IPv6. I didn't find the process easy.

What is not to be found 'easy'? If you can use a keyboard you can type
in those details. Name/Address/Phone, pretty standard one would think.

The "justification" is there primarily to let the approver know what you
are interested in and more specifically what problem you are trying to
solve in you specify one. You do not need to write an essay (though some
people do ;) and it does make the task for the approver so much more fun
to see what people intend to use things for. (remember again, that
nobody is being payed for any of SixXS, it is just a fun thing).

> Then I requested a  Tunnel via SixXS and got a /64.... not happy.

Actually you get two, one for the tunnel and one for the boxes behind it.

> Then I found out tat I have to request an additional full subnet (a
> /48), which I couldn't get because I have insufficient ISK (Credit)....

Those /48s come out of a finite pool that belongs to each PoP, which is
provided by an ISP (who pays for the hardware, bandwidth, connectivity etc).

As SixXS already burned through almost a /33 fully allocated[1] we do
not give them out for completely 'free' (unless the PoPs policy allows
to give them out, eg has a zero-credit policy), have your tunnel ping
for a bit and you can have 65k /64s at your endpoint.

One of the side-reasons for having the /48 policy is because of
abuse-limiting, it tends that people who want to set up a tunnel quickly
and have a subnet with a lots of nice vhosts in them, abuse a lot more
than the ones who

> Conclusion: Compared to AARNet it sucks.
>
> Mat
> Seriously... SixXS is a PITA compared to the AARNet broker.

It seems that is only based on your view of having to enter a bit of
text (which is odd, with a gmail account you are giving every bit away),
and the fact, which is quite true, that there is no Australian PoP and
something we would love to solve but unfortunately there is no ISP yet
who has offered to set up a PoP in Australia, that would resolve most of
your concerns.

If anybody would step up, (a little virtual machine with a /40 routed to
it), then that problem would be very easily resolved. Also note again
that the owner of the PoP (thus the ISP) defines the policies, if they
set it 'open' then it is open, if they set the subnet cost to 0 then it
will be 0.

Greets,
 Jeroen

[1] http://www.sixxs.net/pops/prefixes/ which currently has:
    91x /40 which is equivalent to a total of 23296 /48's
    or 1x /34 + 1x /36 + 1x /37 + 1x /39 + 1x /40