[AusNOG] Confirmation of govt blackholing. Was: Re: Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri May 17 10:36:26 EST 2013

Just a quick anecdote,
When I was working in the telephone field we'd sometimes get requests
for call logs from AFP and others that were a formatted a bit oddly.
usually they were calls from number X to number Y date range of Z.

Sometimes they were more involved.
So I decided to call them back (they usually had a contact number on the
bit of paper of the person making the request)
After talking to them and finding out what they were really after, a few
carefully worded SQL statements led to some rather dramatic "results" in
terms of arresting baddies. (these people really were baddies).

The point I'm making is this.
I don't think anybody here would object to strongly to killing off a
scammers website.
We all understand that the people who are "in power" may not know the
best way of achieving their goal but often our interests are aligned.
They are people too (well most of them) talk to them and see if you can
come up with an "everybody wins" solution that doesn't involve
blackholing somebody noisy.