[AusNOG] Confirmation of govt blackholing. Was: Re: Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Thu May 16 18:10:12 EST 2013

MFU have moved their hosting provider following the incident.

The previous host was quite obviously a shared web server running a
truckload of sites. A cursory check by the network operators would have
picked that up and they should have known that they were actually
blocking 1200+ sites.

You raise an interesting point, what happens when some flunky at ASIC
mistakenly sends the IP address of a core internet router to a bunch of
providers, who lemming it in and break significant chunks of internet.

Obviously the system is broken on a whole range of levels. The operators
need to show some leadership and push back. As partners and consumers we
need to show some balls and boycott those operators who don't.

T.