[AusNOG] ASIC ordering unilateral website blocks

Peter Tiggerdine ptiggerdine at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:46:20 EST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Chris Simonis <
christopher.simonis at gmail.com> wrote:

> The interpol list has a redirection to a stop page as per the link below
> (at least if it's been implemented sensibly) so it should be easy to track
> it back to the interpol list.
>

> http://www.interpol.int/Media/Images/Crime-areas/Crimes-against-children/Stop-page
>
> Considering the EFF had to speculate it was a result of the interpol list
> I doubt that was the mechanism used. The traceroutes on their article
> should've landed at the stop page rather than just disappearing.
>
> If this was really government initiated it can really only mean there is
> some other blocking mechanism the government has in place at the IP level
> that we are not aware of beyond the interpol list.
>
> Neither Telstra or Optus are mentioned as having explicitly blocked these
> sites yet AAPT and Extel are both explicitly mentioned as blocking the IP.
> Considering the comparative customer bases and the quantitiy of sites
> blocked that seems very odd to me.
>
> I do not support what has been done here if it was genuinely a government
> initated block but I also don't think this was the interpol mechanism at
> work.
>
> It is a very very scary prospect that based on the ASIC and Department of
> Communication statements they believe it's well within their rights to
> extend the scope of internet blocking beyond "protecting the children".

I think this boils down to what was requested.

Blocking an IP means BGP backholing will work.

Blocking a URL means alot more effort operationally speaking (nat, reverse
proxy, redirect, log and report).

Both work to achieve different results. Is there anyway to differentiate
between AFP using a S303 for communication of interpol list update vs ASIC
and other agency arguably extending their reach without due process?