[AusNOG] DDOS mitigation

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Sun May 12 13:29:33 EST 2013

+1

I have LOTS of attempts on the Mambo, Joomla & Wordpress sites that I
host. They spray the Administrator pages with login attempts. It is damn
annoying as it fills the logs up too! Please, please everyone set a
directory password on all administrator directories (as well a secure
admin login password).
See : http://www.thesitewizard.com/apache/password-protect-directory.shtml
to set a directory password. It is easy to do! I HATE PHP with a
vengence!!! It is 10X slower than a compiled application: it is easy to
see if they are trying to exploit you, just look at the massive spike in
CPU on the servers!. It seems that I am reading about a new PHP exploit
every few weeks. It is so easy to mis-configure the stupid thing as well.
</rant>

Regards,
Heinz N