[AusNOG] Pipe/Equinix Peering Costs

Andrew Jones aj at jonesy.com.au
Fri May 3 19:18:59 EST 2013

The issue is that even if they accept a customer's routes on a peering
link, and localpref it below everything else, a more specific route will
still win. So if a customer advertises a /23 to their transit provider,
but the same block as two /24 announcements to the IX (that their
transit provider also peers with), the customer could essentially
"steal" transit, having it come in through the comparatively cheap
peering link, and yet still costing their transit provider.