[AusNOG] OSPFv3 / EIGRPv4 - Link local addresses

Karl Auer kauer at into6.com.au
Thu May 2 12:32:37 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 11:32 +1000, Beeson, Ayden wrote:
> I have started configuring up OSPFv3 internally and I have instantly
> noticed that while it's all working fine, all the route tables show
> the link local addresses for each hop.

Other addresses may come and go, but link local addresses are forever
(well, until the NIC gets swapped out). Other addresses may be used in
interesting ways by source and destination address selection algorithms,
but a link local address is ever and always on the link, only on the
link, and only at one place on the link. It's the ideal address to be
using.

>  I have done a bit of reading and it seems that this is the way they
> do their neighbour relationships now, but does anybody know if there
> is a way to get them to use their actual IPv6 addresses as assigned
> according to our IPv6 range we have been allocated?

It would be nice if someone implemented a mapping of the link local
address to some more useful identifier for display, but the link local
address is definitely the one that should be actually used by the
routing protocol.

Maybe a feature request to the relevant vendor?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer                                          tel  +61-2-64957435
kauer at into6.com.au                                 mob  +61-428-957160

Into6 - IPv6 design, support, training                www.into6.com.au

GPG/PGP fingerprint: D8A4 A65A EE32 286F 1E36 55A4 0901 EEAF A785 1684