[AusNOG] UK server hosting

august forsakov forsakov at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:31:10 EST 2013

Hi Tim.

This is about having a loadbalancer on AWS. In order to have this working
optimally, the app needs to have neatly segregated coding and data.
As you know AWS works with instances, volumes and separate loadbalancers...
In order to have redundancy the application needs to be cross-region. It
happens that there are 2 regions in Ireland (from what I gather).
The problem comes about when there is a mix of data and application code
across regions... much cleaner if you can mount a volume with just the
data...
Of course its possible to mount the whole (in our case tomcat) ROOT
directory on an AWS volume, but it may not work as well as having
everything properly carved up... and mounting a separate data Volume...
The way AWS architecture is set up, you have to make sure your app complies
with this requirement ...

Hope that clarifies...

--
Best regards.