[AusNOG] Global internet slows after 'biggest attack in history'

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Mar 28 17:37:18 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 05:49 +0000, Michael Andreas Schipp wrote:
> The number was from here I believe http://openresolverproject.org/
>
> “We have collected a list of 27 million resolvers that respond to
> queries in some fashion. 25 million of these pose a significant threat
> (as of 24-MAR-2013).”

Bare in mind, a lot of them might be multiple IPs per server, a test I
ran a few days ago, on just one range, from four random members of this
list alone gave me some scary results, a few telnet's did however
confirm my suspicions, so in reality it may be far less, but there are
still enough, but seeing as how likes of google think its cool to run
open resolvers, maybe its why half these admins might not know any
better.