[AusNOG] [SAGE-AU Discuss] [RESULTS] Straw poll: what is your email message size limit?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:38:57 EST 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Paul Gear <ausnog at libertysys.com.au> wrote:
> A soft summary: it seems that those of us on 10 MB or less are behind the
> times, mostly thanks to gmail.

> I'd also like to publish some of the comments i received off-list.  Because
> i said i would summarise the results for the lists, i'm going to assume that
> anyone who emailed me directly will be happy to be quoted anonymously.

{begin grumble}

Are you going to include some meta analysis like the number of
"techies" that use units incorrectly whilst also claiming to be
authoritative?

MB vs mb - the latter always means millibits.

Bytes are 8 bits. Always were, always will be.
Anything else will render their meaning bit set to 0.

Even the worst pedants will accept variations on the use of K (1024
also Kelvin) for k (1000) as often these are misused.

{end grumble}

PS I note a certain large ISP has just announced a cloud based email
service with 30MB of outgoing message size and 3GB of storage.

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com