[AusNOG] Straw poll: what is your email message size limit?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Tue Mar 26 14:20:14 EST 2013

On 03/26/2013 01:11 PM, Geordie Guy wrote:
> If only there was some sort of protocol to transfer files.  Even if it
> were a trivial one. You could even have a secure version.
>
> - Geordie
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st
> <mailto:g2x at juliet.emu.st>> wrote:
>
>     > I've found that email enables poor habits.. Emailing a 10MB doc
>     to the
>     > user 2 rooms down via a hosted exchange? Floods the link twice, plus
>     > stores the attachment in your local OST, the recipients local
>     OST, and
>     > two copies in the exchange store. Now, modify it, and send it back.
>     > Ouch.
>
>     Why ouch? The network is serving the company, not the other way
>     around. Bits and storage are cheap. People are expensive.
>     So your best course of action is to make sure their tool of choice
>     works very well, all the time. The alternative of punishing "poor
>     habits" to save a little computing infrastructure is a fool's errand.

In Mark's defence, the same reason applies: people are expensive, and
teaching non-techies to use SFTP is not exactly straightforward.

In Ed's defence, the "people are expensive" bit applies to his scenario
as well - if it's only an ADSL link connecting you to your hosted
Exchange server, the human cost of tying up that link for 2 x 10 MB
transfers is significant, especially in the outbound direction - QoS can
only help so much...

Paul