[AusNOG] dot1q-tunnel and cisco nexus 5000s

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 20:42:41 EST 2013

On 21/03/2013, at 6:09 PM, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Sean K. Finn <sean.finn at ozservers.com.au> wrote:
> I, too, am interested in hearing *anyones* opinions of dragging tagged vlan traffic across a network like this without the use of QinQ.
>
> Has anyone had experiencing using other protocols, for example, Ethernet over IP, or VPLS or any other of the billion protocol abstractions to achieve something like this?
>
> doing anything MPLS (VPLS, EoMPLS, mac-vpn-*) generally drags you into router-port pricing and mandates you run a MPLS core.
> there are numerous other ways too L2TPv3, OTV, EoMPLSoGRE (last two are the same thing).  oh, and VXLAN.

Don't forget PPPoE! It's not very fashionable in virtualization applications - but it offers to solve many problems related to virtual networks while saving IPv4 addresses and remaining compatible with even the oldest network equipment.

Most arguments against PPPoE are going to be from people who fail to see the irony in trying to operate virtual network interfaces in ways that are like physical network interfaces :)

John