[AusNOG] DNS forwarders (was Re: IPv6: Who's dual stacked? Why don't I look stacked?)

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Fri Mar 8 13:13:36 EST 2013

On 03/08/2013 11:22 AM, Greg McLennan wrote:
> Only thing to be mindfull is to make sure the DNS set in the mikrotik
> points at a suitable public or ISP's DNS server that can also pass
> AAAA records.

I've never understood why anyone bothers with upstream DNS forwarders [1].

Are there some strong technical (e.g. customer experiences breakage) or
community-minded (e.g. the top-level servers can't handle it) reasons
why we shouldn't just let all DNS queries go to the root? Most people
seem to set their TTLs pretty low anyway [2], so it seems like a
pointless exercise.

Paul

[1] Except for non-performance-related reasons, e.g. OpenDNS.

[2] I'm too lazy to look up the reference, but i read a study of DNS
TTLs which found that approximately (making up the numbers here) 95% of
all TTLs were < 1 day.  Of those < 1 day, 95% were < 1 hour.  Of those <
1 hour, 95% were < 5 minutes.