[AusNOG] IPv6: Who's dual stacked? Why don't I look stacked?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 8 12:07:29 EST 2013

In message <51392A34.3090507 at bowenvale.co.nz>, Don Gould writes:
> On 8/03/2013 12:10 p.m., Mark Andrews wrote:
> > IPv6 is given priority over IPv4 for most things.
> Yip....
>
> ...and when you light up v6 in your Mikrotik router without having it
> all configured correctly, the dns data gets to your PPPoE clients, so
> their web browser won't see the net any more as it's looking for
> addresses in the v6 dns server that it can't reach...
>
> ...yes big opps, trying to just rush at it a bit fast there.
>
> My point being that it's all these little 'got ya's' that frighten the
> crap out of me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

And when the server has 2 IPv4 addresses and one is unreachable the
client stalls.  This is a failure to test against multi-homed servers
not a failure of IPv6.

With IPv6 deployment increasing these bugs will now get fixed as
it is impossible to avoid multi-homed servers.  I wonder how many
billions could have been saved if these bugs were fixed rather than
money being spent global load balancers and all their support
infrastructure to detect unreachability.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org