[AusNOG] IPv6: Where's my tunnel?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Fri Mar 8 07:16:41 EST 2013

On 7/03/2013 10:45 p.m., Mark Newton wrote:

> I don't get it.

Sure Mark I can help explain that one.

Following all the ranting, which I must thank you very much for
(seriously, not being sarcastic there, you've empowered me with a wealth
of information in the past week, even if I seem a bit like a tosser who
just doesn't want to bother this this stuff).

I've decided that we're pushing in v6 where ever we can.  Tunnels,
native, what ever, over dial up if required.

I'll just come at this the other way around.

You quite rightly pointed out that my not dropping in v6 at the same
time as v4 on every site, every time I touch it, is just unprofessional
on my part.

You rightly pointed out that I should not be asking for permission, I
should just be doing it because from a professional point of view,
that's my job.  As you say, I don't ask permission before I put other
protocols in place that I know in my professional view should be there
for the customers interests.

In 1995, in most cases I didn't ask my customers permission to check if
something was Y2K compliant.  If it wasn't, I just didn't purchase it,
or if it was in the network, I just pulled it out as I went.

So I'm not going to make a big fuss with the customer about changing
stuff out, I'm just going to put the tunnels in (and you'll see my
questions on how to do that next week as I've discovered yesterday that
I need some help).

When my customer asks me why Google or what ever else has got slower
recently I'm just going to tell the truth - "Sir it's because we're
using $Provider as your ISP" and leave it at that.

I'm not going to engage the customer with a detailed explanation, or any
explanation around the technical issues.

I'm simply going to present them with the options to change provider if
they want to make it faster again.

As you rightly point out, my job is simply to ensure that appropriate
protocols are delivered to their computers and not engage them in
discussion about technical issues that they neither understand nor are
interested in.

Again, thank you to you and many others for presented such comprehensive
information to empower me.