[AusNOG] IPv6: Where's my tunnel?

Tristram Cheer tristram.cheer at ubergroup.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 20:53:06 EST 2013

You don't have to pay for it if it's not critical for you, You can run a lab with a HE.net /48. Hell you could run a pretty small ISP off that /48. HE.Net will also setup a BGP based tunnel if you have your own range from *NIC which is what we did when v6 was in the lab and we clicked the "one click" give me IPv6 button in the APNIC control panel.

IPv6 isn't hard to understand compared to IPv4 *IF* you have a good grasp of CIDR/Subnetting, BGP (to make life easier) and DNS, Once you get CIDR then you get that IPv6 is just more hex in the address and no nat.

It sounds like you don't have a firm grasp of CIDR, My advice would be to read up on CIDR in IPv4 so it's in a more familiar context. Once you've done that get your tunnel up and running then split that into some 64's and do a simple chain of 3 routers in the lab until you can ping the end of the chain from the IPv6 net.

SMB's  find it daunting because I've seen many start in the ISP space with little networking knowledge, Effectively running an ISP on easy mode (for a lack of a better term). I've dealt with a few who do wireless networks and they buy transit and rent IPv4 space (or ran behind a single IP) from a provider who deliveries it as a neat single interface with no BGP needed, the take this feed and normally slice a /24 for servers and chuck the rest into a pppoe pool feeding their giant bridge L2 wireless network.

Nothing wrong with that at the size they are but when you talk to them about IPv6 things come unstuck.

IPv6 is not going to be a selling point for long if it was ever a selling point, It's a cost of remaining relevant in this space if not right now very soon. When ISP's run out of space and start going CGN with no IPv6 the wheels will come off for them, The support calls about VoIP not working, gaming consoles complaining about restrictive NAT, VPN's failing, SMTP the list goes on and on.

As others have said the cost to deploy IPv6 is not so much in the network it's the support tools and management tools. Everything from the customer portal to the provisioning server is going to need to understand IPv6

--

Tristram Cheer
Network Architect

Tel. 09 438 5472 Ext 803 | Mobile. 022 412 1985 | PO Box 5083, Whangarei,
0140

Fax.  | tristram.cheer at ubergroup.co.nz | www.ubergroup.co.nz