[AusNOG] IPv6 -"Nope, we're not at the edge" - Cisco...

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Wed Mar 6 18:49:14 EST 2013

On 6/03/2013 8:17 p.m., Bob Purdon wrote:
> Certainly the mainline Cisco products I've come across in recent years supported IPv6.
See the title "not at the edge".

SMB is all about building WAN solutions.

It's about that retail chain with 10 stores around the city, all on
domestic DSL connections, with an eftpos terminal, a couple of phone lines.

They're all on a tight budget often and you don't set up anything on
anything that doesn't actually have to be there.

So if you have a device that doesn't do v6 then you know that you're
going to need v4 so you just run everything at v4 and just don't worry
about even thinking about your v6 configs, why would you, you just don't
need to.

Why should the SMB guys invest in learning protocols that they just
can't use properly?

If we want to turn this v6 thing around faster then we really do have to
have buy in from the biggest providers all the way to the edge and we're
just not getting that are we, no.

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave
Mairehau