[AusNOG] IPv4 - Where is the training? APNIC

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Mar 5 19:24:30 EST 2013

Hey Elly,

Thanks for jumping in...

The discussion here really started out about being all about the cost of
resources and the slow pace of v6 uptake and use and the impending doom
of not having v4 resource available at any sensible price point,
assuming you can even get it at all.

The accusation was made that enterprise and SMB just aren't playing the
game.

I've attempted to jump back here with a bit of an out line of reasons
why I'm not personally playing the game for the SMB side and attempted
to give everyone a bit of a heads up of what my issues are and the help
I need because I suspect that there are just tens of thousands of IT
guys in the same sort of boat I'm in and a stack of the discussion
that's been had suggested to me that people have just lost some
perspective and are just blaming APNIC policy and price issues for the
slowness in this process.

TRAINING IN WHERE!?!

On a good day, it's cheaper for me to fly to Queensland than Auckland,
and it's cheaper to stay there on any day of the week!

I went to a Cisco even here recently with 40 guys in the room and that
would have just made up a fraction of the IT community in Christchurch
that need to come upto speed with this v6 stuff.

Look at the level of information I need and where heaps of the SMB guys
are at.

People are here worrying about the cost of IP resource.

They're wondering why v6 traction isn't picking up in the SMB space.

No one in Sydney is going to deploy an region wide v6 network when they
just can't get SMB techs in Invercargile, Dunedin, Christchurch,
Queenstown, Greymouth, Nelson and Blemheim (just to name the major South
Island towns) who speak v6.

As you may have read, I'm looking at getting some IP resource and was
quite excited about Skeeve's opening post that kicked all this
discussion off, but what do I actually get for my $4000NZD?

Seems if I was setting up my network in Auckland... sweet, in Sydney,
even better...  but if we actually want v6 to roll past the major data
centres then I think we need to be doing some really serious thinking
about regional training and a much more granular level and not just
1,000km away.

I don't mean to sound really ungreatful for your response.

On 5/03/2013 7:30 p.m., Elly Tawhai wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> There is not currently any APNIC IPv6 training scheduled for
> Christchurch. However we will be conducting an IPv6 Workshop in
> Auckland, which will be held on 6 - 8 May.
>
> For more information and registration please visit:
>
> http://training.apnic.net/events/2013/workshop-ipv6-6may13
>
> If you have any queries please contact <training at apnic.net>
>
> (apologies for cross list posting thought this maybe of interest to
> those on NZNOG list)
>
> Kind regards,
> Elly
> APNIC
>
> Don Gould wrote:
>> On 5/03/2013 4:23 p.m., jason andrade wrote:
>>> From: Elly Tawhai <elly at apnic.net>
>>> To: "ausnog at ausnog.net" <ausnog at ausnog.net>
>>> Subject: [AusNOG] [::] APNIC IPv6 Workshop BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA 13-15
>>> Mar 2013
>>>
>> Thanks.  Sorry, I missed seeing a post about APNIC running the some
>> training in Christchurch?
>>
>> Have they been running this sort of training in all the smaller
>> centres like Christchurch, around the region?

Don Gould
31 Acheson Ave
Mairehau
Christchurch, New Zealand