[AusNOG] IPv4 - Free /48 from APNIC

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:10:47 EST 2013

In your example the IPv4 prefix would be 192.168.1 assuming it is a /24
subnet.

In the world of IPv6, just like in IPv4, an address is made up of the
prefix and host parts, so for you example 192.168.1 is the prefix and 1 is
the host, of course IPv6 addresses are Hex and longer, not decimal. In most
setups in IPv6 the host part of the address is determined by the devices
MAC address plus a couple extra bits in the middle, and there are multiple
prefixes assigned by the router/network, as well as a 'local' prefix. In
the end you will often have 3-4 IPv6 addresses per device in this sort of
multi homing setup, all with the same host portion but different prefix
portions. The router can then broadcast if a certain prefix is no longer in
use, or if a new prefix is to be added.

This is just based on my simplistic understanding of it, and its been a
while since ive read up on IPv6 so if im wrong some one feel free to
correct me :P

I do need to do more reading, as I have clients with 5+ sites connected via
MPLS WAN, with 2 of the sites with internet connections from different
providers, and the sites without internet use their wan to route to a site
with internet, and if the site goes down it fails over to the other site
with internet. Not sure how to tackle that in IPv6, NAT on IPv4 meant i
didnt have to think about a lot of this :P

--Damian