[AusNOG] IPv4 - Free /48 from APNIC

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 5 13:38:45 EST 2013

<snip>

> People here have said that enterprise is dragging their feet.  Yes we are.  We
> just don't know how to do this stuff

There are a number of decent books relating to IPv6, such as "Deploying IPv6 Networks" and "Migrating to IPv6: A Practical Guide to Implementing IPv6 in Mobile and Fixed Networks"

In addition to books, the IETF have published a number of freely available Informational RFCs relating to Enterprise deployment of IPv6. RFCs aren't dry like documents from other standards organisations, so don't be scared away from reading them.

"IPv6 Enterprise Network Scenarios"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4057

"Use of VLANs for IPv4-IPv6 Coexistence in Enterprise Networks"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4554

"IPv6 Enterprise Network Analysis - IP Layer 3 Focus"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4852

"IPv6 Enterprise Network Renumbering Scenarios, Considerations, and Methods"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6879

There are also a number of other general advice RFCs, also relevant to Enterprises, such as

"IPv6 Unicast Address Assignment Considerations"

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5375

"IPv6 Implications for Network Scanning"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5157

"Local Network Protection for IPv6"
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4864/

"Procedures for Renumbering an IPv6 Network without a Flag Day"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4192

"Recommendations for Filtering ICMPv6 Messages in Firewalls"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4890

This Internet Draft (pre-RFC, but not guaranteed to be published) provides detail on planning and considerations:

"Enterprise IPv6 Deployment Guidelines"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-enterprise-incremental-ipv6-02

Most of these documents are the product of the IETF IPv6 Operations Working group. Here's their complete list of documents:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/

One of the soon to be published Internet Drafts of interest to people on this list may be:

"IPv6 Guidance for Internet Content and Application Service Providers"
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-icp-guidance-05