[AusNOG] IPv4

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Mar 3 19:30:58 EST 2013

DNS is supposed to be for aliasing an address, not moving an address
eBGP-ally.

The same reason we have dialing codes (international, regional, local,
whatever) for phone numbers is why we can't have /48s completely infinitely
portable, at least not with BGP anyway.

It makes far more sense to use a DNS style alias approach for things like a
mobile 'number' you can take anywhere in the world to any provider and have
it hooked up, as in, what you should be taking anywhere is your "Skype"
number and how you are reached is purely determined by which provider you
are 'logged into' as opposed to what IPv6 address you are actually
connecting from.