[AusNOG] IPv4

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sun Mar 3 18:30:03 EST 2013

Correct.

A /22 of IPv4 is equal to a /32 IPv6.  So you get up to a /32 of v6 for no
extra fee.

BUT... If you are a business, expect only a /48...  If you are a Service
Provider, you can probably justify a /32.

but seriously... a /48 is a TONNE for a business.  The only reason you'd
want more is if you have multiple networks in geographic  disparate
locations with different upstreams.

If you have a reason you could get hundreds of /48's and still not exceed
the costs equivalent of a /22 in IPv4 considering there are 65536 /48's in
a /32, and 65536 /64's in a /48.

So, an ISP with a /32, literally has 4.2billion /64's for its customers (if
you do /64 per end user).  That is currently the equivalent of the entire
v4 space. If you use a /56 per end user, that is 16.7 million of them.

I've seen a lot of comments about APNIC mis-managing address space
allocation... but in the IPv6 world... that is going to be REAL hard to do.

The lesson here is... the sooner you move to IPv6, the far far less
problems you are going to have.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net