[AusNOG] IPv4

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Mar 3 12:33:41 EST 2013

No one forced them into business. No one made them go for lower margins
that would mean they aren't/weren't IPv6 ready.

If they decided to hop onto the sinking ship without a lifevest, its their
own damn fault. If they went into business with software like cPanel and
did nothing to try push for proper IPv6 support, again that is their own
fault. Bigpond and Optus have very little reason from content serving
perspective to have IPv6, so it was up to the major sources of content to
get their side ready so that people like Bigpond and Optus actually had
benefit in rolling out IPv6. Do you think David Thodey is going to go to
his board and say "oh hey guys, here's a $100 million proposal to ready our
network for IPv6, of course it won't benefit anyone as none of the content
out there is IPv6, but it will cost us more if we have to do it later" and
get an answer anything other than "bugger off, not interested, it might
cost us more later but all we care about is this years bottom line, screw
the future that is the next CEOs problem"?

Maybe instead of looking at it like the world is shafting these smaller
businesses, maybe look at it like the world has given them a free ride all
this time, and now it is time for them to step up. And if that means their
business folds, well that means more customers for businesses that WILL
survive and manage to implement IPv6 before the 22nd century.

I gotta tell you though, over the past year or so there have been some
fairly massive players on the global stage that have all started charging a
lot more for IPv4, and aside from a few complaints from businesses being
run out of India or Malaysia or somewhere where low margins work really
well, the majority of customers have understood the reality of the cost of
IPv4. And none of them have left the providers, because while the IPv4 cost
increased, overall these lowish margin providers are still a damn sight
cheaper than the majority of companies.