[AusNOG] APNIC Slashes Costs for New Members

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Fri Mar 1 17:59:56 EST 2013

Agree, it needs justification but that’s easy to get around.

I have a customer that had less than 128 IP’s with us, they applied around
6 months ago to APNIC and got a /22 so that they can ‘just have them’ they
have no plans to use them and I am sure that they are just going to sit on
them to sell. I approached them and they laughed about the whole depletion
policy saying ‘someone will come up with a solution’ almost like they have
NO idea about the seriousness of the final allocation policy.

When I reported this to APNIC they did not really have a way to do anything
about it.

Just frustrating that people like us who are using the IP space and need it
cannot get it and then they offer this to new customers which will create
more of this ‘un needed’ allocations happening.