[AusNOG] Is anyone else sick of Tony abbot claiming Malcolm Turbull invented the internet.

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Jun 28 21:24:27 EST 2013

On 28/06/2013 8:41 PM, Chris Chaundy wrote:

> I should know some history here because I was on the AARNet Technical Committee and
> network coordinator for the operation of the AARNet International, national and
> Victorian hubs during the early 90's at the University of Melbourne, starting with
> 48Kbps links around the state and the country, and a 56K international link (grand
> days when the 48K links were upgraded to Megalinks with Saturn modems and the
> internal link went up to 256K and then 768K around this time).  Of course, Robert
> Elz along with Geoff Huston and Peter Elford were the key drivers for much of the
> original impetus.

That upgrade of the international link to 768k made Nettrek run sooo much smoother!
Thanks Chris :-)

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM, John Glendenning <glendenning.j at gmail.com
> <mailto:glendenning.j at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ahhh the old days of Trumpet Winsock, Netscape and Terminal.. Back then it was a
>     three horse dial up race between Ozemail, OnAustralia/MSN/Bigpond and Microplex
>     in the retail channel selling access cards.

...and the older days, when SLIP was the access protocol of choice, before PPP and
DHCP were created (I wrote a commercial RARP and BOOTP server for automated IP address
allocation, right before DHCP was documented), and NCSA Mosaic was threatening to
overturn WAIS 'browsers' - before Netscape was created, and well before Mr Turnbull
got involved in OZEmail.

Turnbull didn't even invent OzEmail, let alone the Internet. Then again, Abbott is no
Bill Gates.

P.