[AusNOG] Is anyone else sick of Tony abbot claiming Malcolm Turbull invented the internet.

Chris Chaundy chris.chaundy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 20:41:43 EST 2013

I don't often post here but there are time when I have to speak out!

There is some 'discussion' as to whether Microplex or connect.com.au were
the first commercial *IP* providers in Australia (circa 1992/1993) - as
distinct from email providers prior to this (DIALix and Pegasus - see
wikipedia) - and Labtam (aka Access One) came soon after, but the academic
sector through AARNet was there much earlier (1990).  Ozemail was not the
pioneer here, and with all respect, Malcolm Turnbull was not involved until
1994 (but he and Howard sure made some money...), and he no more 'invented'
the Internet than Al Gore did!

I should know some history here because I was on the AARNet Technical
Committee and network coordinator for the operation of the AARNet
International, national and Victorian hubs during the early 90's at the
University of Melbourne, starting with 48Kbps links around the state and
the country, and a 56K international link (grand days when the 48K links
were upgraded to Megalinks with Saturn modems and the internal link went up
to 256K and then 768K around this time).  Of course, Robert Elz along with
Geoff Huston and Peter Elford were the key drivers for much of the original
impetus.

See http://www.aarnet.edu.au/about-us/publications/aarnet-book for the true
history (not rewritten!)...